News Release 23-037
Inv. No(s). 731-TA-1588-1590
Contact: Elizabeth Nesbitt, 202-205-1819
The United States International Trade Commission (USITC) today determined that a U.S. industry is materially injured by reason of imports of preserved mushrooms from the Netherlands, Poland, and Spain that the U.S. Department of Commerce (Commerce) has determined are sold in the United States at less than fair value.
Chairman David S. Johanson and Commissioners Rhonda K. Schmidtlein, Jason E. Kearns, Randolph J. Stayin, and Amy A. Karpel voted in the affirmative.
As a result of the Commission’s affirmative determinations, Commerce will issue antidumping duty orders on imports of this product from the Netherlands, Poland, and Spain.
The Commission’s public report Preserved Mushrooms from the Netherlands, Poland, and Spain (Inv. Nos. 731-TA-1588-1590 (Final), USITC Publication 5430, May 2023) will contain the views of the Commission and information developed during the investigations.
The report will be available by June 8, 2023; when available, it may be accessed on the USITC website at: http://pubapps.usitc.gov/applications/publogs/qry_publication_loglist.asp.
UNITED STATES INTERNATIONAL TRADE COMMISSION
Washington, DC 20436
Certain Preserved Mushrooms from the Netherlands, Poland, and Spain
Investigation Nos. 731-TA-1588-1590 (Final)
Product Description: Certain preserved mushrooms are mushrooms of the genus Agaricus that have been prepared or preserved by cleaning, blanching, and sometimes slicing or cutting. These mushrooms are then packed and heat sterilized in containers each holding a net drained weight of not more than 12 ounces (340.2 grams), including but not limited to cans or glass jars, in a suitable liquid medium, including but not limited to water, brine, butter, or butter sauce. The final form of certain preserved mushrooms can be either whole, sliced, or as stems and pieces.
Status of Proceedings:
- Type of investigation: Final antidumping duty investigations.
- Petitioner: Giorgio Foods, Inc., Blandon, Pennsylvania.
- USITC Institution Date: Thursday, March 31, 2022.
- USITC Hearing Date: Thursday, November 17, 2022.
- USITC Vote Date: Thursday, April 27, 2023.1
- USITC Notification to Commerce Date: Thursday, May 11, 2023.
U.S. Industry in 2021:
- Number of U.S. producers: 1.
- Location of producer’s plants: Blandon, Pennsylvania.
- Production and related workers: 2
- U.S. producers’ U.S. shipments: 2
- Apparent U.S. consumption: 2
- Ratio of subject imports to apparent U.S. consumption: 2
U.S. Imports in 2021:
- Subject imports: $65 million.
- Nonsubject imports: $15 million.
- Leading import sources: The Netherlands, Poland, France, and Spain.
1 The Commission voted on its antidumping duty investigation on preserved mushrooms from France on December 19, 2022, and notified Commerce of its determination on January 12, 2023.
2 Withheld to avoid disclosure of business proprietary information.