News Release 23-022
Inv. No(s). 701-TA-685 and 731-TA-1599-1606
Contact: Elizabeth Nesbitt, 202-205-1819
The United States International Trade Commission (USITC) today determined that there is a reasonable indication that a U.S. industry is materially injured by reason of imports of tin mill products from Canada, China, Germany, Netherlands, South Korea, Taiwan, Turkey, and United Kingdom that are allegedly sold in the United States at less than fair value and subsidized by the government of China.
Chairman David S. Johanson and Commissioners Rhonda K. Schmidtlein, Jason E. Kearns, Randolph J. Stayin, and Amy A. Karpel voted in the affirmative.
As a result of the Commission’s affirmative determinations, the U.S. Department of Commerce will continue its investigations of imports of tin mill products from Canada, China, Germany, Netherlands, South Korea, Taiwan, Turkey, and United Kingdom, with its preliminary countervailing duty determination due on or about April 13, 2023, and its preliminary antidumping duty determinations due on or about June 27, 2023.
The Commission’s public report Tin Mill Products from Canada, China, Germany, Netherlands, South Korea, Taiwan, Turkey, and United Kingdom (Inv. Nos. 701-TA-685 and 731-TA-1599-1606 (Preliminary), USITC Publication 5413, March 2023) will contain the views of the Commission and information developed during the investigations.
The report will be available by April 10, 2023; when available, it may be accessed on the USITC website at: https://www.usitc.gov/commission_publications_library.
UNITED STATES INTERNATIONAL TRADE COMMISSION
Washington, DC 20436
Tin Mill Products from Canada, China, Germany, Netherlands, South Korea, Taiwan, Turkey, and United Kingdom
Investigation Nos. 701-TA-685 and 731-TA-1599-1606 (Preliminary)
Product Description: Tin mill products are flat-rolled products that are coated or plated with tin, chromium, or chromium oxides. Flat-rolled steel products coated with tin are known as tinplate. Flat-rolled steel products coated with chromium or chromium oxides are known as tin-free steel or electrolytic chromium-coated steel. The scope includes all the noted tin mill products regardless of thickness, width, form (in coils or cut sheets), coating type (electrolytic or otherwise), edge (trimmed, untrimmed or further processed, such as scroll cut), coating thickness, surface finish, temper, coating metal (tin, chromium, or chromium oxide), reduction (single- or double-reduced), and whether or not coated with a plastic material.
Status of Proceedings:
- Type of investigations: Preliminary countervailing and antidumping duty investigations.
- Petitioners: Cleveland-Cliffs Inc., Cleveland, Ohio; and the United Steel, Paper and Forestry, Rubber, Manufacturing, Energy, Allied Industrial and Service Workers International Union, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
- USITC Institution Date: Wednesday, January 18, 2023.
- USITC Conference Date: Wednesday, February 8, 2023.
- USITC Vote Date: Friday, March 3, 2023.
- USITC Notification to Commerce Date: Monday, March 6, 2023.
U.S. Industry in 2021:
- Number of U.S. producers: 3.
- Location of producers’ plants: California, Indiana, Ohio, and West Virginia.
- Production and related workers: 1
- U.S. producers’ U.S. shipments: 1
- Apparent U.S. consumption: 1
- Ratio of subject imports to apparent U.S. consumption: 1
U.S. Imports in 2021:
- Subject imports: 1
- Nonsubject imports: 1
- Leading import sources: 1
1 Withheld to avoid disclosure of business proprietary information.