News Release 23-008
Inv. No(s). 731-TA-1578-1579
Contact: Elizabeth Nesbitt, 202-205-1819
The United States International Trade Commission (USITC) today determined that a U.S. industry is materially injured or threatened with material injury by reason of imports of lemon juice from Brazil and South Africa that the U.S. Department of Commerce (Commerce) has determined are sold in the United States at less than fair value.
Chairman David S. Johanson and Commissioners Rhonda K. Schmidtlein, Jason E. Kearns, Randolph J. Stayin, and Amy A. Karpel voted in the affirmative.
As a result of the Commission’s affirmative determinations, Commerce will issue antidumping duty orders on imports of this product from Brazil and South Africa.
The Commission’s public report Lemon Juice from Brazil and South Africa (Inv. Nos. 731-TA-1578-1579 (Final), USITC Publication 5403, February 2023) will contain the views of the Commission and information developed during the investigations.
The report will be available by March 2, 2023; when available, it may be accessed on the USITC website at: http://pubapps.usitc.gov/applications/publogs/qry_publication_loglist.asp.
UNITED STATES INTERNATIONAL TRADE COMMISSION
Washington, DC 20436
Lemon juice from Brazil and South Africa
Investigation Nos: 731-TA-1578-1579 (Final)
Product Description: Lemon juice covered by these investigations includes lemon juice in all forms including not from concentrate lemon juice and concentrated lemon juice. Lemon juice is primarily used as an ingredient in beverages, particularly lemonade, as well as other food ingredient applications. Other uses include retail packaging for in-home ingredient use and non-food products such as household cleaners. Lemon juice packed in retail-sized containers (up to 128 ounces) or beverages containing 20 percent or less lemon juice are not covered by these investigations.
Status of Proceedings:
- Type of investigation: Final antidumping duty investigations.
- Petitioner: Ventura Coastal LLC, Ventura, California.
- USITC Institution Date: Thursday, December 30, 2021.
- USITC Hearing Date: Thursday, December 15, 2022.
USITC Vote Date: Monday, January 23, 2023.
- USITC Notification to Commerce Date: Thursday, February 2, 2023.
U.S. Industry in 2021:
- Number of U.S. producers: 5.
- Location of producers’ plants: Arizona, California, and Florida.
- Production and related workers: 1
- U.S. producers’ U.S. shipments: 1
- Apparent U.S. consumption: 1
- Ratio of subject imports to apparent U.S. consumption: 1
U.S. Imports in 2021:
- Subject imports: 1
- Nonsubject imports: 1
- Leading import sources: Argentina, Brazil, Mexico, and South Africa.
1 Withheld to avoid disclosure of business proprietary information.