News Release 22-082
Inv. No(s). 701-TA-680
Contact: Jennifer Andberg, 202-205-1819
The United States International Trade Commission (USITC) today determined that a U.S. industry is materially injured by reason of imports of sodium nitrite from Russia that the U.S. Department of Commerce (Commerce) has determined are subsidized.
Chairman David S. Johanson and Commissioners Rhonda K. Schmidtlein, Jason E. Kearns, Randolph J. Stayin, and Amy A. Karpel voted in the affirmative.
As a result of the Commission’s affirmative determinations, Commerce will issue countervailing duty orders on imports of this product from Russia.
The Commission’s public report Sodium Nitrite from Russia (Inv. No. 701-TA-680 (Final), USITC Publication 5342, August 2022) will contain the views of the Commission and information developed during the investigations.
The report will be available by August 24, 2022; when available, it may be accessed on the USITC website at: http://pubapps.usitc.gov/applications/publogs/qry_publication_loglist.asp.
UNITED STATES INTERNATIONAL TRADE COMMISSION
Washington, DC 20436
Sodium Nitrite from Russia
Investigation No. 701-TA-680 (Final)
Product Description: Sodium nitrite (NaNO2, CAS registry number 7632-00-0) is an industrial chemical sold in solid or liquid form. Sodium nitrite is used in a wide range of industrial applications, including corrosion inhibition, detinning scrap tinplate, phosphating metals, and organic syntheses, notably the production of organic amines. Additional applications include the production of dyes and synthetic rubber, preservation of cured meat, and control of odor and inhibition of bacterial growth in wastewater treatment. It also serves in heat treating salts to harden metals, as an antidote to cyanide poisoning, and in military applications, including ammunition and explosives. These investigations cover sodium nitrite in any form, at any purity level.
Status of Proceedings:
1. Type of investigation: Final countervailing duty investigation.
2. Petitioner: Chemtrade Chemicals US LLC, Parsippany, New Jersey
3. USITC Institution Date: Thursday, January 13, 2022.
4. USITC Hearing Date: Tuesday, June 21, 2022.
5. USITC Vote Date: Wednesday, July 27, 2022 (Russia countervailing duty).
6. USITC Notification to Commerce Date: Monday, August 15, 2022 (Russia countervailing duty).
U.S. Industry in 2021:
1. Number of U.S. producers: 2.
2. Location of petitioner’s plant: New York
3. Production and related workers: 1
4. U.S. producers’ U.S. shipments: 1
5. Apparent U.S. consumption: 1
6. Ratio of subject imports to apparent U.S. consumption: 1
U.S. Imports in 2021:
1. Subject imports: $6.7 million.
2. Nonsubject imports: $40 thousand.
3. Leading import sources: India and Russia.
1 Withheld to avoid disclosure of business proprietary information.