The United States International Trade Commission (USITC) today determined that a U.S. industry is not materially injured or threatened with material injury by reason of imports of urea ammonium nitrate solutions from Russia and Trinidad and Tobago that the U.S. Department of Commerce (Commerce) has determined are subsidized and sold in the United States at less than fair value.
Chairman David S. Johanson and Commissioners Rhonda K. Schmidtlein, Jason E. Kearns, Randolph J. Stayin, and Amy A. Karpel voted in the negative.
As a result of the Commission’s negative determinations, Commerce will not issue countervailing duty orders and antidumping duty orders on imports of this product from Russia and Trinidad and Tobago.
The Commission’s public report Urea Ammonium Nitrate Solutions from Russia and Trinidad and Tobago (Inv. Nos. 701-TA-668-669 and 731-TA-1565-1566 (Final), USITC Publication 5338, August 2022) will contain the views of the Commission and information developed during the investigations.
The report will be available by August 22, 2022; when available, it may be accessed on the USITC website at: http://pubapps.usitc.gov/applications/publogs/qry_publication_loglist.asp.
UNITED STATES INTERNATIONAL TRADE COMMISSION
Washington, DC 20436
Urea Ammonium Nitrate (UAN) Solutions from Russia and Trinidad and Tobago
Investigation Nos: 701-TA-668-669 and 731-TA-1565-1566 (Final)
Product Description:Urea ammonium nitrate solutions (UAN) are a class of nitrogen fertilizers primarily composed of urea, ammonium nitrate, and water. The production of UAN uses natural gas as the primary input to manufacture ammonia, which is subsequently and separately transformed into urea and ammonium nitrate. These two kinds of nitrogen fertilizers are then mixed in roughly equal amounts with water to yield a solution with 28-32 percent nitrogen content. Urea and ammonium nitrate provide crop nutrition at different stages of plant growth. As a liquid, UAN can easily be blended with other fertilizers and pesticides during application. The current popularity of UAN use in its major markets of the United States and Europe is incentivized where transportation, storage, and distribution infrastructure is available.
Status of Proceedings:
1. Type of investigation: Final countervailing duty and antidumping duty investigations.
2. CF Industries Nitrogen, LLC and its subsidiaries, Terra Nitrogen, Limited Partnership and Terra International (Oklahoma) LLC, all of Deerfield, Illinois.
3. USITC Institution Date:Wednesday, June 30, 2021.
4. USITC Hearing Date: Thursday, June 16, 2022.
5. USITC Vote Date: Monday, July 18, 2022.
6. USITC Notification to Commerce Date: Monday, August 1, 2022.
U.S. Industry in 2021:
1. Number of U.S. producers: 8.
2. Location of producers’ plants: Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Nebraska, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Washington, and Wyoming
3. Production and related workers:1,473.
4. U.S. producers’ U.S. shipments: $3.0 billion.
5. Apparent U.S. consumption:$3.7 billion.
6. Ratio of subject imports to apparent U.S. consumption by value:14.4 percent.
U.S. Imports in 2021:
1. Subject imports: $539.9 million.
2. Nonsubject imports: $184.9 million.
3. Leading import sources: Russia, Trinidad and Tobago, Canada, Algeria, and the Netherlands.