The United States International Trade Commission (USITC) today determined that a U.S. industry is materially injured by reason of imports of wood mouldings and millwork products from China that the U.S. Department of Commerce (Commerce) has determined are subsidized and sold in the United States at less than fair value.
Chair Jason E. Kearns and Commissioners David S. Johanson, Rhonda K. Schmidtlein, and Amy A. Karpel voted in the affirmative. Vice Chairman Randolph J. Stayin did not participate in these investigations.
As a result of the Commission’s affirmative determinations, Commerce will issue antidumping and countervailing duty orders on imports of these products from China.
The Commission’s public report Wood Mouldings and Millwork Products from China (Inv. Nos. 701-TA-636 and 731-TA-1470 (Final), USITC Publication 5157, February 2021) will contain the views of the Commission and information developed during the investigations.
The report will be available by March 1, 2021; when available, it may be accessed on the USITC website at: http://pubapps.usitc.gov/applications/publogs/qry_publication_loglist.asp.
UNITED STATES INTERNATIONAL TRADE COMMISSION
Washington, DC 20436
Wood Mouldings and Millwork Products from China
Investigation Nos. 701-TA-636 and 731-TA-1470 (Final)
Product Description: The merchandise subject to these investigations consists of wood mouldings and millwork products that are made of wood (regardless of wood species), bamboo, laminated veneer lumber (LVL), or of wood and composite materials (where the composite materials make up less than 50 percent of the total merchandise), and which are continuously shaped wood or finger‐jointed or edge-glued moulding or millwork blanks (whether or not resawn).
Status of Proceedings:
- Type of investigation: Final countervailing duty and antidumping duty investigations.
- Petitioners: The Coalition of American Millwork Producers is comprised of Best Moulding Corporation, Albuquerque, NM; Bright Wood Corporation, Madras, OR; Cascade Wood Products, Inc., White City, OR; Endura Products, Inc., Colfax, NC; Menzner Lumber and Supply Company, Marathon, WI; Pacific Wood Laminates, Brookings, OR; Sierra Pacific Industries, Red Bluff, CA; Sunset Moulding, Live Oak, CA; Woodgrain Millwork Inc., Fruitland, ID; and Yuba River Moulding, Yuba City, CA.
- USITC Institution Date: Wednesday, January 8, 2020.
- USITC Hearing Date: Tuesday, December 22, 2020.
- USITC Vote Date: Friday, January 22, 2021.
- USITC Notification to Commerce Date: Monday, February 8, 2021.
U.S. Industry in 2019:
1. Number of U.S. producers: 15.
2. Location of producers’ plants: Alabama, California, Georgia, Idaho, Kentucky, Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, Washington, and Wisconsin.
3. Production and related workers: 2,452.
4. U.S. producers’ U.S. shipments: 178.8 million board feet.
5. Apparent U.S. consumption: 1.0 billion board feet.
6. Ratio of subject imports to apparent U.S. consumption: 24.8 percent.
U.S. Imports in 2019:
1. Subject imports: 249.9 million board feet.
2. Nonsubject imports: 589.5 million board feet.
3. Leading import sources: Brazil, China, and Chile.