The United States International Trade Commission (USITC) today determined that there is a reasonable indication that a U.S. industry is materially injured or threatened with material injury by reason of imports of silicon metal from Bosnia and Herzegovina, Iceland, and Malaysia that are allegedly sold in the United States at less than fair value and that are allegedly subsidized by the government of Kazakhstan.
Chair Jason E. Kearns, Vice Chair Randolph J. Stayin, and Commissioners David S. Johanson, Rhonda K. Schmidtlein, and Amy A. Karpel voted in the affirmative.
As a result of the Commission’s affirmative determinations, the U.S. Department of Commerce will continue its investigations of imports of silicon metal from Bosnia and Herzegovina, Iceland, Kazakhstan, and Malaysia, with its preliminary countervailing duty determination concerning imports of this product from Kazakhstan due on or about September 23, 2020, and its preliminary antidumping duty determinations concerning imports of this product from Bosnia and Herzegovina, Iceland, and Malaysia due on or about December 7, 2020.
The Commission’s public report Silicon Metal from Bosnia and Herzegovina, Iceland, Kazakhstan, and Malaysia (Inv. Nos. 701-TA-652 and 731-TA-1524-1526 (Preliminary), USITC Publication 5107, August 2020) will contain the views of the Commission and information developed during the investigations.
The report will be available after September 11, 2020; when available, it may be accessed on the USITC website at: https://www.usitc.gov/commission_publications_library.
UNITED STATES INTERNATIONAL TRADE COMMISSION
Washington, DC 20436
Silicon Metal from Bosnia-Herzegovina, Iceland, Kazakhstan, and Malaysia
Investigation Nos. 701-TA-652 and 731-TA-1524-1526 (Preliminary)
Product Description: Silicon metal of all forms and sizes, including silicon powder, contains at least 85.00 percent but less than 99.99 percent silicon and less than 4.00 percent iron by actual weight. Specifically excluded is semiconductor grade silicon (containing at least 99.99 percent silicon by actual weight and classifiable under Harmonized Tariff Schedule of the United States (HTSUS) subheading 2804.61.00).
Status of Proceedings:
1. Type of investigations: Preliminary antidumping and countervailing duty investigations.
2. Petitioners: Globe Specialty Metals, Inc., Beverly, Ohio; and Mississippi Silicon LLC, Burnsville, Mississippi.
3. USITC Institution Date: Tuesday, June 30, 2020.
4. USITC Conference Date: Tuesday, July 21, 2020 (conducted through written statements, testimony, and questions and responses).
5. USITC Vote Date: Thursday, August 13, 2020.
6. USITC Notification to Commerce Date: Friday, August 14, 2020.
U.S. Industry in 2019
1. Number of U.S. producers: Three.
2. Location of producers’ plants: Alabama, Mississippi, New York, Ohio, and West Virginia.
3. Production and related workers: 
4. U.S. producers’ U.S. shipments: 
5. Apparent U.S. consumption: 
6. Ratio of subject imports to apparent U.S. consumption: 
U.S. Imports in 2019:
1. Subject imports: $53.6 million.
2. Nonsubject imports: $301.6 million.
3. Leading import sources: Brazil, Canada, Norway, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Kazakhstan.
 Withheld to avoid disclosure of business proprietary information.