News Release 20-005
Inv. No(s). 701-TA-622 , 731-TA-1448
Contact: Peg O'Laughlin, 202-205-1819
The United States International Trade Commission (USITC) today determined that a U.S. industry is not materially injured or threatened with material injury by reason of imports of dried tart cherries from Turkey that the U.S. Department of Commerce (Commerce) has determined are subsidized and sold in the United States at less than fair value.
Chairman David S. Johanson and Commissioners Rhonda K. Schmidtlein, Jason E. Kearns, Randolph J. Stayin, and Amy A. Karpel voted in the negative.
As a result of the USITC’s negative determinations, no antidumping and countervailing duty orders will be issued.
The Commission’s public report Dried Tart Cherries from Turkey (Inv. Nos. 701-TA-622 and 731-TA-1448 (Final), USITC Publication 5014, January 2020) will contain the views of the Commission and information developed during the investigations.
The report will be available by February 18, 2020; when available, it may be accessed on the USITC website at: http://pubapps.usitc.gov/applications/publogs/qry_publication_loglist.asp.
UNITED STATES INTERNATIONAL TRADE COMMISSION
Washington, DC 20436
Dried Tart Cherries from Turkey
Investigation Nos. 701-TA-622 and 731-TA-1448 (Final)
Product Description: Dried tart cherries are a type of processed tart cherry that is consumed directly or used in nut or dried fruit mixtures, cereals, baked goods, and other processed foods. Dried tart cherries have a tender, chewy texture, and the full flavor profile comes from the high acidity of the fresh tart cherry. Before they are dried, tart cherries are usually pitted, and can be infused with a sweetener or flavoring juice. They can be sold whole or diced, chopped, or further reduced in size.
Status of Proceedings:
- Type of investigation: Final phase antidumping duty and countervailing duty investigations.
- Petitioners: Cherry Central Cooperative, Traverse City, MI; Graceland Fruit, Inc., Frankfort, MI; Oceana Foods, Shelby, MI; Payson Fruit Growers Coop, Payson, UT; Shoreline Fruit, LLC, Traverse City, MI; Smeltzer Orchard Co., Frankfort, MI.
- USITC Institution Date: Tuesday, April 23, 2019.
- USITC Hearing Date: Tuesday, December 3, 2019.
- USITC Vote Date: Tuesday, January 14, 2020.
- USITC Notification to Commerce Date: Monday, January 27, 2020.
U.S. Industry in 2018:
- Number of U.S. producers: 5.
- Location of producers’ plants: Michigan and Utah.
- Production and related workers: 336.
- U.S. producers’ U.S. shipments: $70.6 million.
- Apparent U.S. consumption:
- Ratio of subject imports to apparent U.S. consumption: 1
U.S. Imports in 2018:
- 1. Subject imports: 1
- 2. Nonsubject imports: 1
- 3. Leading import sources: Turkey, Serbia, and Uzbekistan. 1
 Withheld to avoid disclosure of business proprietary information.