The United States International Trade Commission (USITC) today determined that there is a reasonable indication that a U.S. industry is materially injured by reason of imports of wooden cabinets and vanities from China that are allegedly subsidized and sold in the United States at less than fair value.
Chairman David S. Johanson and Commissioners Irving A. Williamson, Rhonda K. Schmidtlein, and Jason E. Kearns voted in the affirmative. Commissioner Meredith M. Broadbent did not participate in these investigations.
As a result of the Commission’s affirmative determinations, the U.S. Department of Commerce will continue with its antidumping and countervailing duty investigations concerning imports of these products from China, with its preliminary countervailing duty determination due on or about May 30, 2019, and its preliminary antidumping duty determination due on or about August 13, 2019.
The Commission’s public report Wooden Cabinets and Vanities from China (Inv. Nos. 701-TA-620 and 731-TA-1445 (Preliminary), USITC Publication 4891, April 2019) will contain the views of the Commission and information developed during the investigations.
The report will be available after May 20, 2019; when available, it may be accessed on the USITC website at: http://pubapps.usitc.gov/applications/publogs/qry_publication_loglist.asp.
UNITED STATES INTERNATIONAL TRADE COMMISSION
Washington, DC 20436
Wooden Cabinets and Vanities from China
Investigation Nos. 701-TA-620 and 731-TA-1445 (Preliminary)
Product Description: Wooden cabinets and vanities (WCVs) are wood-constructed products for permanent installation and are usually found in kitchens (in the case of cabinets) and bathrooms (in the case of vanities). WCVs have physical characteristics applicable to the intended use for storage and access of various household items. WCVs may be sold in a fully assembled form where the product is ready for installation or in a “flat pack” or “ready to assemble” (“RTA”) form, which contains most or all of the items required to assemble a cabinet or vanity into its completed form. WCVs are manufactured wholly or in part from wood products, including natural wood and engineered wood products. In addition to the wood components, these products may contain quantities of non-wood materials, such as glass, vinyl, plastic, and metal.
Status of Proceedings:
1. Type of investigation: Preliminary countervailing duty and antidumping investigations.
2. Petitioner: American Kitchen Cabinet Alliance, Reston, Virginia.
3. USITC Institution Date: Wednesday, March 6, 2019.
4. USITC Hearing Date: Wednesday, March 27, 2019.
5. USITC Vote Date: Friday, April 19, 2019.
6. USITC Notification to Commerce Date: Monday, April 22, 2019.
U.S. Industry in Year 2018:
1. Number of U.S. producers: 50
2. Location of producers’ plants: Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Minnesota, Missouri, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia.
3. Production and related workers: 33,961.
4. U.S. producers’ U.S. shipments: $7.5 billion.
5. Apparent U.S. consumption: $9.6 billion.
6. Ratio of subject imports to apparent U.S. consumption: 16.4 percent
U.S. Imports in Year 2018:
1. Subject imports: $1.6 billion.
2. Nonsubject imports: $599.3 million.
3. Leading import source: China, Germany, and Italy.