The United States International Trade Commission (USITC) today determined that there is a reasonable indication that a U.S. industry is materially injured by reason of imports of chassis and subassemblies from China that are allegedly subsidized and sold in the United States at less than fair value.
Chair Jason E. Kearns, Vice Chair Randolph J. Stayin, and Commissioners David S. Johanson, Rhonda K. Schmidtlein, and Amy A. Karpel voted in the affirmative.
As a result of the Commission’s affirmative determinations, the U.S. Department of Commerce will continue its investigations of imports of chassis and subassemblies from China, with its preliminary countervailing duty determination due on or about October 23, 2020, and its preliminary antidumping duty determination due on or about January 6, 2021.
The Commission’s public report Chassis and Subassemblies from China (Inv. Nos. 701-TA-657 and 731-TA-1537 (Preliminary), USITC Publication 5119, September 2020) will contain the views of the Commission and information developed during the investigations.
The report will be available after October 13, 2020; when available, it may be accessed on the USITC website at: https://www.usitc.gov/commission_publications_library.
UNITED STATES INTERNATIONAL TRADE COMMISSION
Washington, DC 20436
Chassis and Subassemblies from China
Investigation Nos. 701-TA-657 and 731-TA-1537 (Preliminary)
Product Description: Chassis are skeletal rectangular framed trailers used to transport shipping containers. The rectangular frame is made up of steel with a suspension and axle system, wheels and tires, brakes, a lighting and electrical system, a coupling for towing behind a truck tractor, and a locking system or systems to secure the shipping container or containers attached to the chassis. Chassis are designed to carry containers of various sizes (usually ranging from 20-feet to 53-feet in the United States).
Status of Proceedings:
1. Type of investigation: Preliminary countervailing duty and antidumping duty investigations.
2. Petitioners: Coalition of American Chassis Manufacturers (Cheetah Chassis Corporation, Fairless Hills, PA; Hercules Enterprises LLC, Hillsborough, NJ; Pitts Enterprises, Inc., Pittsview, AL; Pratt Industries, Inc., Bridgman, MI; Stoughton Trailers, Stoughton, WI.)
3. USITC Institution Date: Thursday, July 30, 2020.
4. USITC Conference Date: Thursday, August 20, 2020.
5. USITC Vote Date: Friday, September 11, 2020.
6. USITC Notification to Commerce Date: Monday, September 14, 2020.
U.S. Industry in 2019:
1. Number of U.S. producers: 5.
2. Location of producers’ plants: Alabama, Michigan, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, and Wisconsin.
3. Production and related workers: 
4. U.S. producers’ U.S. shipments: 1
5. Apparent U.S. consumption: 1
6. Ratio of subject imports to apparent U.S. consumption: 1
U.S. Imports in 2019:
1. Subject imports: 1
2. Nonsubject imports: 1
3. Leading import sources: China, Mexico.
 Withheld to avoid disclosure of business proprietary information.